They have used the @font-face method in its own <style> tag. All the other styles are within another style tag. This might have been an attempt at bug resolution with webfonts— as you probably know, this can beverytricky.
Unfortunately, this method does not work in Outlook and it displays as Times New Roman. I did a quick test to confirm (bearing in mind that perhaps their subscriber list is devoid of Outlook and also that I ran a test using the code in the Litmus Scope version which may not be perfectly accurate).
I’m in the process of collating a huge batch of methods for incorporating webfonts because none of the methods for doing this seem absolutely bulletproof to me. I will share the results when I have them.
The two most notable things that I learned from his post were:
That Android will only display a range of fonts available on Android handsets (Droid Sans, Droid Serif, Open Sans), and
That you can try wrapping your font import code in a media query to prevent Outlook from reverting all your type to Times New Roman.
…as usual, Outlook likes to get involved and throw a spanner in the works. If you use @font-face in HTML email, Outlook 07/10/13 will default all text back to Times New Roman. After a long time testing various fixes, we eventually found that wrapping the font import code in a simple media query hides this from Outlook, letting it get past the ‘Open Sans’ part and default the text back to the next font.
/*font import stuff*/
I am keen to give this a try and see if it is successful. It would be a good alternative to using the <font> tag for folks who aren’t able to do so (i.e. those using a template).